The joys of canoeing and kayaking in the Cévennes
Going down the Hérault river in either a canoe or a kayak is one of an essentials of any holiday down in the South of France. The gorges of the Hérault are classified as one of the “Grand Sites de France” (exceptional places in France), Unesco world heritage and Natura 2000 (Europe-wide nature protection). At the 4 star campsite of the Domaine d’Anglas, North of Montpellier in Brissac, everything is done enhance your canoeing experience. You can reserve on site and there is a free shuttle that leaves from the campsite. You will also get a one-to-one explanation for a safe activity and you can even order a picnic pannier at the campsite’s Restaurant “La Bergerie” which is ideal for your day on the river for canoeing and kayaking in the Cévennes !
Imagine … unspoiled nature, a sparkling river, breathtaking landscapes as well as calm and serenity just for you! According to your desires, your rhythm, listen to the surrounding fauna, the sound of paddles, the lapping of the water … The sensations are unique during a canoe-kayak trip! Whether you choose kayaking or canoeing, you will bathe in the sweetness of life for a day: for sure !
Discover the Gorges of the Hérault
The canyon of the Gorges of the Hérault was made by the Hérault river, starts just by the Campsite Domaine D’Anglas, at the foot of the Cévennes. The river is 150 km in length and flows through a protected but a wild natural environment. Geographically, the river begins at la Maison de l’Aigoual and goes right down to the Mediterranean sea. The Gorges do not run the full length of the river but finish at St Guilhem le Désert and go through Laroque, Saint Bauzille de Putois and Brissac. In 2010, the Gorges were recognised “Grand Site Occitanie Sud de France”. The river is a good place for swimming, canoeing, walking and also caving. You will find two distinctive landscapes along the river: up north, the landscape is very rocky and steep whereas down south it is a greener.
Around the river, there are plenty of sites of interest to visit : the Cave of les Demoiselles, the bridge at Saint Etienne d’Issensac, the Ravine des Arcs, the abbey of Gellone that was built in 804 and the Pont du Diable (bridge of the devil). The last two buildings are on the list of protected monuments and are included in the routes of Santiago de Compostela.
Which course to chose for Canoeing and kayaking in the Cévennes
With our partner Canoë le Moulin, we will make sure your day is perfect : you will have nothing to worry about ! You can chose how long you want your activity to last; 2 hours, a half day, a whole day… anything is possible ! The campsite Domaine d’Anglas has thought of everything to make your day perfect from booking, to the food, to the free shuttle. This is a perfect way to have a lovely day canoeing down the Hérault river 30 minutes from Montpellier.
From 6 years on :
- Family course of 7 km and accessible for children and their families older than 6 years. You can even take your place in a canoe that seats 3 people ! Fun and gives you the opportunity for a change of scenery, you start from the Pont de Fer (metal bridge) at Saint Bauzille de Putois, and finish at the base of Aubanel in Brissac.
- For the whole family there is another course of 9 km. The overall course is calm but there are a couple of rapids to give yourself that little bit of excitement. This course will give you the opportunity to chill out on the banks of the Hérault river situated along the land of the Domaine d’Anglas campsite. This course takes about 2 and a half hours but you can include plenty more time for picnics, swimming and games !
From 12 years on :
- Experience the thrill of this little 3 km course ! You have to be over 12, but you get to go over obstacles called the S, the little S and the Laroque slider!
- From Laroque to the hanging bridge at St Bauzille de Putois, the 6 km course is quite sporty ! At the beginning of the descent, experience the thrills of the rapids whilst admiring the varied and sensational landscape! The course takes about 2 hours not including breaks and you have to be over 12.
- Looking for a lot of fun and excitement? Don’t hesitate to try the 13 km course! You will need about 3 and a half hours to complete the course not including breaks and you will get to go over the Laroque slide. This is one of the most beautiful courses of the Hérault river and is perfect for all nature lovers.
- Do you wish to experience a complete emersion in the Hérault river ? Give yourself a treat and try out the 17 km descent in between Ganges and Pont de Saint Etienne d’Issensac. The course lasts 6 hours and is full of adventures and new discoveries.
Which campsite to chose to be close to a Cévenol river ?
Staying at the riverside campsite of the 4 star campsite Domaine D’Anglas is a good choice to make the most of your nature-themed week-end. In a preserved and quiet setting, the Domaine d’Anglas is one of the most beautiful campsites of the Occitanie region! One of the charms of the campsite is its waterside localisation, and its 300m² natural swimming pool. During your stay in the Cévennes, you will be able to swim, relax, fish, observe nature, sunbathe…
Rentals and camping pitches at the Domaine d’Anglas campsite
For you canoe-themed week-end, you can chose the Domaine d’Anglas campsite situated in the middle of an organic vineyard. You will be able to chose from unusual types of rentals such as a Gypsy caravan, lodge, winemaker cabin, wooden chalet, a luxury cottage, the Gîte or even a family igloo ! Depending on what you want to do you can sleep in a tent, a campervan or caravan on one of the spacious and shaded camping pitches. The campsite has a lot of facilities including play areas, football pitches, or places to play boule, ping-pong tables and for the smaller children there is a low zip line, slides, and a pirate boat ! Besides the canoes, you also have the opportunity to rent bicycles to cycle round the Cévennes.
So don’t hesitate, the Domaine d’Anglas campsite is the dream campsite for your canoeing holiday!